How Far We've Come

In 1935, county residents and the Sparta Woman’s Club started the first Alleghany County Public Library. From 1940 to 1959 the collection was housed in the WPA constructed community center. Through the generosity of Bessie Lee and Edwin Duncan, Sr., the library found a home in its current location.

The Alleghany County Public Library is the fabric that weaves together our culture and community by providing tools for everyone in an ever-changing world.

Launching the Project: Our Need to Expand

Expansion and relocation are necessities. Sixty percent of our current population holds library cards. In FY 2013-14 the library saw 25,590 visitors and 33,832 items were circulated. In addition, 13,559 individuals used public computers for internet access, and the library hosted 232 programs attended by 5,573 people.

The library is in dire need of space to provide citizens with the most current economic, informational, educational, and recreational resources. By partnering with NCWorks, Wilkes Community College, and our local business development center, the library will enhance opportunities for occupational and computer skills training, on-line employment searches, job applications, and career support materials. These additional services will compliment the many traditional services our library currently provides. This relocation will also make the library compliant with the American Disabilities Act.

Since 2003, the Friends of the Library, which operates a local used bookstore, has donated $90,000 toward the building fund. This initial contribution was the beginning of this campaign, launching the new library dream into reality.

You are invited to invest in this important community catalyst!


2016: The Year of the Library

Alleghany County Public Library is a member of the Northwestern Regional Library
© 2016 Site by Imaging Specialists, Inc. Sparta, NC